Advantages and points to note about permanent residence in Japan


This blog is for foreigners living in Japan who are considering applying for a permanent residence permit.


There are three advantages to being a permanent resident: (1) No need to renew your period of stay, (2) No restrictions on activities in Japan (work, study, etc.), and (3) Gaining social credibility (loan screening at financial institutions, etc.) is.


For other statuse of residence perimit, it is necessary to apply for an extension of the period of stay every few years, or every year for a short period of time, but this is not necessary for permanent residents. (However, you need to renew your residence card every seven years.) There are no restrictions on your activities in Japan, so you can work or go to school as freely as Japanese people do, as long as you don't violate the law. That's it.


On the other hand, one thing to keep in mind after becoming a permanent resident is that you will need to apply for a re-entry permit if you go outside of Japan. This re-entry permit system allows foreign nationals to re-enter the country for up to five years, and it is necessary to obtain a permit before leaving the country. As an exception, if you have a valid passport and residence card and you wish to re-enter the country within one year, this is called a "deemed re-entry permit."  


What you need to be aware of is that if a permanent resident leaves Japan and the re-entry period expires while they are abroad, they will lose their permanent resident status. If you are leaving the country under the re-entry permit system, it is possible to extend the period at the local Japanese embassy overseas (extension by one year for unavoidable reasons), but in the case of a "special re-entry permit" no extension is allowed at all. not.


Also, be careful when applying for renewal of your residence card. If your renewal is delayed, there are penalties, and you will not be able to renew your license overseas while you are out of the country. You must be careful not to let your residence card expire while you are leaving the country with the intention of obtaining a "Special Re-entry Permit."


Legal requirements for permanent residence

(1) Be of good conduct.

(2) Having sufficient assets or skills to earn an independent living;

(3) When it is recognized that the person's permanent residence is in line with the interests of Japan.


The following documents are required to prove whether you meet these three requirements.


Documents required for permanent residence permit application

1.Permanent residence permit application

Photos were taken within the last 3 months


2. Reason statement

The applicant must write the reason/motive for wanting to permanently reside in Japan in his or her own words (copying and pasting example sentences that are inconsistent with the context is a no-no; falsehoods are, of course, no good) If the applicant writes in a language other than Japanese must include a Japanese translation.


3. Materials proving the income and tax payment status of the applicant or the applicant's dependents over the past three years

Withholding tax slip, tax payment certificate, etc.


4. Materials proving the assets of the applicant or the person supporting the applicant

Certificate of deposit balance, certificate of real estate registration, etc.


5. Documents proving the occupation of the applicant or the applicant's dependent over the past three years

If you are a salary earner, please submit a certificate of employment; if you are a corporate manager, please submit a certificate of corporate registration and financial statements for the past three years, or if you are conducting business that requires legal permission, a copy of your license certificate. Such


6. Health certificate (not required for those under 16 years old and over 70 years old)

This is not a general medical examination, but a medical examination conducted by a hospital designated by the Immigration Bureau for diagnosis of legal infectious diseases, designated infectious diseases, stimulant poisoning, etc.


7.Documents and materials proving marital relationship or parent-child relationship, etc.

Copy of family register, marriage certificate, certificates and photos of related parties, etc.



Information on residence, educational background, work history, social status, and other technical qualifications and rewards and punishments will also be included.


9.Summary of overseas relatives residing in Japan

State your relationship, name, age, residence status, occupation, monthly income, address, etc.


10.Copies of certificates of commendation, letters of appreciation, letters of decoration, letters of recommendation, etc.


11.Residence card/Closed alien registration card for applicant and family


12. Materials related to personal guarantee

Documents certifying the guarantor's income and tax payment status over the past three years, as well as documents certifying their occupation, will also be required.


The above documents may or may not be necessary in various cases, so please check them in advance.



I have lived in the United States for a total of 9 years and can communicate in English. I can also translate simple English documents and reason statements into English.