Resident Permit

Resident Permit

Link to the Immigration Services Agency website


There are 25 types of status of residence based on activities, and ``those who can work'' (within the scope of the status of residence) are diplomatic, official, professor, art, religion, journalism, highly skilled professional, business/management, law/accounting, 19 types include medical care, research, education, technology/humanities/international work, intra-company transfer, nursing care, entertainment, skills, specific skills, and technical training; ``things where work is basically impossible'' include cultural activities, short-term stays, There are five types: study abroad, training, and family stay, as well as specific activities in which ``the availability of work is determined by the details of the permit.''


There are four types of residence status based on social status or status: permanent resident, spouse of Japanese national, spouse of permanent resident, etc., and long-term resident, and there are no restrictions on their activities such as employment.


Which status of residence you have depends on the activities you will be doing in Japan, but there are differences in the documents that need to be attached to the application form. Each person can only have one status of residence, so if you want to change your purpose of residence, you will need to apply for a change. Basically, the application is made by the foreigner himself, his girlfriend's family (proxy), or an employee of a school or company that employs him after consulting with the Immigration Bureau. If you have any questions, please contact me by email or phone.


7 application procedures

1. Application for Certificate of Eligibility

For foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan, their eligibility for residence status and suitability for landing standards must be determined in advance by a family member residing in Japan submitting the application documents on their behalf, or by a school or employing company acting as an intermediary, and the Minister of Justice examines the application documents. It will be issued if it is approved. This certificate (valid for 3 months) will be sent to a foreigner living in a foreign country, and the person will need to obtain a visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate there before entering Japan. However, this does not apply to residence statuses such as short-term visitor, permanent resident, and designated activities. There is no application fee.


2.Application for extension of period of stay

For foreign nationals who enter Japan through the above procedures, their period of stay will be determined at the time of their status of residence. If you need to extend your period of stay, you can apply for permission to extend your period of stay from three months before the expiration date. The application fee is 4,000 yen.


3.Application for permission to change residence status

If a foreigner with a status of residence changes his or her purpose of residence and engages in activities that fall under a different status of residence, he or she must apply for permission to change his or her residence status. For example, when changing from a study abroad qualification to an engineer, humanities specialist, or international business qualification after finding a job in Japan. The application fee is 4,000 yen.


4.Application for permission to acquire status of residence

This is an application for foreign nationals who are residing in Japan without going through the landing procedures, such as those who were born in Japan or renounced their Japanese nationality, and who wish to continue to reside in Japan. This must be done within 30 days from the date of birth or renunciation of Japanese nationality. Newborn babies cannot apply on their own, so of course their parents must apply. There is no application fee.


5.Application for permission to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted

If you wish to engage in activities outside the scope of your approved status of residence and receive compensation, you will need to apply for permission to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence. This is a case where an international student works part-time.


What you need to be aware of is that conditions such as ``generally no more than 28 hours a week, excluding engagement in entertainment business, etc.'' are attached. If you apply for a change of status of residence, such as a permanent residence permit, after working more than 28 hours a week, you may be found out and your permit may not be granted. Entertainment businesses also include pachinko parlors and billiard parlors. There is no application fee.


6.Application for issuance of employment qualification certificate

This is an application for the issuance of a document certifying by the Minister of Justice that you have a status of residence that allows you to work, and is verified by the employing company when finding a job or changing jobs. The application fee is 1,200 yen.


7.Re-entry permit application

This is a permit that allows foreign nationals with resident status to temporarily leave Japan and re-enter Japan with the same status of residence as before leaving Japan. The period is within the period of stay and does not exceed 5 years. As a general rule, foreigners who possess a valid passport and residence card do not need a special re-entry permit if they re-enter Japan within one year after leaving Japan, but if they accidentally exceed one year, their status of residence will be revoked. It will be lost. The application fee is 3,000 yen (one time only) or 6,000 yen (several times).